Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What Grows in Colorado

Matt and I have this fantastic argument going about what will and will not grow in Colorado--at least what grows in our garden.
Being that he truly has the green thumb in the family, and comes from a long line of green thumbs--he is definitely more of an expert on garden growing. (Which of course, for me means that I don't have to do any yard/garden work--no complaints there.)

I, on the other hand, believe that nothing grows unless you attempt planting it (except for random weeds and seeds that take root of their own accord, but I digress).

Years have gone by of me suggesting wild things to grow in our Colorado back yard--avocados, bananas, cranberries (yes, I realize we don't have a bog), and the like.
This year I finally convinced him to attempt potatoes. Guess what? They appear to be growing extremely well (who's to say what's going on under ground, but if the top is any suggestion--we'll be eating fresh french fries soon).

Well, the other day I gave Owen the top to a pineapple I just cut & suggested he go plant it in the garden. (Owen takes after his dad when it comes to gardening, although he has his mother's humor and is willing to plant anything--coffee, pineapple, and random toy cars.)

This morning Matt comes in from watering the garden with a smirk on his face.
"The pineapple is growing," he says. I just smiled at him.

2 comments:

Grandma Lola said...

The Medders' 'green thumb' is showing! Did you never hear about the plant that we had growing in a dark closet?

Rose said...

That is funny! you must keep the blog community updated!