Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Year of The Girl

I'm not much for resolutions, but I have always been a goal-oriented person. So, as it is with most people around this time, I am reviewing the past and preparing for the future.

I have not thought through all of this yet, so this will be a jumbled post of ideas, hopes, and goals.

The last couple years have felt like they have happened to me, rather than me having any effect on life. I don't like this, and very much want to be experiencing life instead of it running me over. A mentor once told me that I needed to manage my job, rather than it managing me.

I am fed up with finances. For all the books I've read, blogs I've read, advice I've been given, coaching that has been shared with me--nothing is new, and very little is anything I didn't already know. What I'm understanding more and more is that our finances--much like most things in our life--need to work for us, not how they work for the general public or our friends, family or neighbors. We've tried so many different methods, followed so many "plans"--it's not changing much at all. We're frustrated that change isn't happening quickly, and I think change is not happening b/c the way we THINK has not changed. We've changed habits and behaviors--we spend a lot less, etc.--but money is still managing US. We're at the mercy of our income, debt, and budget. It sucks. We're going to blow this out of the water this year. I've got some real strategies--that are unique TO US--for OUR situation--for OUR thinking--for OUR needs. More to come on this.

I have a new camera coming. I can't wait to start taking more and better pictures. This is part of a long line of personal accomplishments. I'm also wanting to push my domesticate side by learning to sew and knit well.

I'm going to enjoy being a girl. When did it become taboo to be a girl? Why is it an insult to "throw like a girl," or to be "hormonal" or "emotional." Having a little girl is making me realize the fantastic blessing it is to be a girl. That loving pink, babies, pretty clothes and other trinkets are OKAY. I'm making 2010 the year of being a GIRL! Praise God, I'm a girl! If I want to wear a dress every day, so be it. Yep, I might even sew that dress myself.

Health. I've been shredding, and I love it. I love seeing my waist get slender, and having my husband's arms wrap around so easily. (I'm pretty confident he likes it too.) I love that so many of my friends are jumping on this wagon with me--it encourages and challenges me to keep going. I'm going to kick it up though this year. First, a detox. I've wanted to do this for awhile. I did one several years ago, and it felt great. I've found a simple, easy plan, and I've got a start date. I think the key word is strength. I want to feel strong. Not muscle strong, but a feeling of inner strength. I want to feel as though I can DO this (whatever "this" may be), and my body is ready for each challenge coming our way.

Write. I need to blog more. I need to finish a book. I've got ideas, and I've received so much encouragement from friends--even some strangers. I lack confidence, time, and direction. Just like with the sewing and knitting--lots of ideas, not enough resources. Kids book? Non-fiction? Theology? Not sure. Which, is why I have lots started--nothing finished. Searching for the right goal on this one.

I've got lots of ideas, hopes, and goals for my family too. I'd like Owen to be able to read before kindergarten. I'd like Eden to know her letters and numbers by fall, and to spend more time reading with her. I'd like them both to know the New Testament books, and the days of creation. More importantly, I want them to know that Jesus loves them--even if they don't quite understand. I'd like our family Bible study time to be more of a daily habit.

I'm realizing this post could just keep on going, and it's already late tonight. Obviously, it's going to be a busy blogging season.

1 comment:

Ryan Johnson said...

Very exciting!

Couple thoughts:

1. The easiest way to take better pictures is to take more pictures. The easiest way to take more pictures is to leave your camera out on the counter or end table.

Sounds obvious, but it's easy to forget that outta sight is outta mind.

2. Writing a book -- a kid's book, in my case -- is one of my 2010 goals, too. I'm really enjoying the 100 words a day approach. It only takes me 15ish minutes, so it's pretty easy to squeeze in. Small steps add up.

Plus, it's a lot easier to squeeze out enough creativity for 100 words than it is to sit down and write several decent pages.