Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pity

In the last month, we have received numerous phone calls, FB messages, e-mails, and texts from well-meaning friends and "others" to express their sympathy for us. I know that they're intention is to comfort, I guess, but really I'd love for it to stop. No one has died. We're moving on. We're okay.
Yes, we're heartbroken. Yes, it hurts. It's very doubtful that you can even fathom what we feel right now, and even more doubtful that I could begin to explain the depth of pain and emotions. It doesn't matter though, we don't need pity. We're dealing in our own way.
You know what we love? The friends who drop by with food, beer, hugs, flowers. The ones who say--we're totally going out this weekend--prepare yourself. The ones who ask us about our life. (You did know we did other stuff besides this school, right?) The ones who totally get that one second we may be laughing, screaming the next, and then in tears. The ones that don't just say they're there if we need them, they literally are there. The ones who aren't making a big deal out of anything, but simply stand by us.
I am especially thankful for this band of brothers that have taken it upon themselves to stand as protectors. Not literally, but more spiritually. These are true men. In addition to my amazing husband, these men have made me feel safe and protected. They've lifted my husband up, and stood by him. It totally rocks.

No comments: