Sunday, November 25, 2012

Clean Your Room

I can't believe this is working. It's ridiculously simple, but for my kids--it works. 

You see, my kids were professional slackers when it came to cleaning their rooms. Eden would break down in tears over even the thought of having to clean her room. They'd get it done--only IF I stood over their shoulders telling them what to do with every little thing. Who has time for that?

So, one day, and with a fresh pad of sticky notes, I wrote them each a list. They are obviously my children, because even the thought of 1. a sticky note of their own AND 2. a list--they were giddy. On each note I wrote:

1. put away books
2. put away clothes
3. put away toys
4. throw away trash
5. vacuum

That's it. And something about only five things--only having to do ONE thing at a time--this made all the difference at our house. I tried reward systems, charts, bribes, threats--you name it. This is working for us, and I am thrilled.

No comments: