Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Breathing

I haven't blogged since before Eden was born. Didn't know what else to post, beyond what has already been said. Matt has done a great job keeping everyone up to date.

But we have OUTSTANDING news today, and I didn't realize how much stress it was causing until we heard the news.

Eden's PKU's came back normal--meaning that there are no immediate signs of CF. Praise GOD!!!!

Despite that throughout my pregnancy I suspected that this baby did not have CF, and we had no reason to believe she had CF after she was born--getting these results lifted a burden from my mind. It's almost like I wasn't allowing myself to bond with Eden, b/c I was afraid.

It's pretty hard being told that your child has a "life expectancy" abnormal to anyone else. That that life expectancy is shorter than your own. Even though Owen defies the norm, and challenges his doctors with how to "treat" a healthy CF kid--it's always in the back of my mind to make every day, every second, count.

Not that I feel like I don't need to make it count with Eden, but I feel like I can breathe a little better now. Yeah, it's silly. Yeah, I know I'm a nut case, but that's what's going on in my head right now.

3 comments:

karen said...

That isn't silly or nutty at all. I think it would be weird if you didn't feel strongly relieved. Eden's health has been in the back of my mind for a long time, too, and when I got your e-mail I threw my fists in the air and boomed: "YES!"

The feelings you're describing - about Owen, as well - make every kind of sense, at least to me.

Grandma Lola said...

Ditto Karen! CF will always be a part of my concern for my grandkids,...present and future. I've been blessed with healthy children and healthy grandchildren! Owen is strong and healthy. Eden is healthy and growing daily! Life is good.

thegermanygirl said...

I don't think your concerns are silly, either. We found out a few years ago that Ed has a degenerative spine condition, and it can be hereditary. So I'm already concerned about the health of our kids (who don't even exist yet!)

Seems like a very natural, normal thinking process to me. I'm thankful for you guys that Owen and Eden are both doing so well, and that you can all "breathe easy." :o)