Saturday, December 22, 2007

Gift-giving

I'm a horrible gift-giver. I can never decide what to get, and spend way too much time agonizing over if the receiver will like what I purchase. When I finally do make a decison I can never wait until the blessed event--I have to have the receiver open it now!

I'm also a horrible gift-receiver. I especially dislike opening gifts in front of the gift-giver. I agonize over how to respond if I totally hate the gift. I get disappointed if it's not exactly what I hoped for, and I feel utterly guilty when someone gets me something I actually want. I just don't feel like anyone should have gone out of their way for me. Also, I hate the dreaded "wish list." Where's the fun in that? Can you imagine Christmas morning: "Oh, wow, it's exactly the book I told you to buy me." Surprise, surprise.

That all being said, it's probably pretty obvious that my poor husband has struggled each holiday and birthday to get me something. I sat down one day after a particularly frustrating Christmas morning, and devised a way for my husband to buy for me.

It's worked so far, and I've been delighted with what he finds for me--sometimes it's something I never knew I wanted. So, I thought I'd share this with all of you who might be struggling this very moment with what to get that special someone.

Ask yourself these questions:
  1. Has the gift-receiver mentioned the item(s) more than once? twice? three times?
  2. Is it just for the gift-receiver, and no one else? (Meaning, you are truly buying this for them--not you.)
  3. Is it something the gift-receiver would buy for themselves, but can't because of cost or time?
  4. Does it make the gift-receiver's life easier?
  5. Will it make the gift-receiver feel _________? (Fill in the blank: prettier, relaxed, special, etc.)
If you can answer yes to the majority of those, then it's likely the gift is a winner.

Another suggestion is to start from head to toe. This works for me, b/c I don't typically spend money on items for my appearance. Not that I don't want to, I just think their are other things that we need to spend our money on (like food and the mortgage).

Last year, Matt found a bag of manicure goodies. It included everything I needed to really make my nails feel great & look great. I love it! I hadn't asked for anything like that, but he knew that I enjoy getting my nails done even though I rarely can afford it. Now, he gave me the option of being able to do it at home.
What I love even more was the pride I saw in his face, and the story he told me of how he came to find & buy it.

This year we're keeping things simple. We bought the kiddos a couple things, but for each other we decided to get all we need to complete the rock wall in the garage. It's something we both want, but have been putting off b/c it wasn't a necessity (meaning: it wasn't in the budget). We've even found a way we both can contribute to the purchase, w/o breaking the bank, but still each making a small sacrifice.

Truly that's what it's all about, right? Sacrifice? One amazing sacrifice, that puts all this gift-giving to shame? If you're reading this, and don't have Jesus in your life--it's time you got to know him. It'll be the best gift you ever got.

1 comment:

Grandma Lola said...

Well said! Bravo. Just what the world needs to hear.