Monday, June 8, 2009

Stuff Growing In Our Garden

Purple Basil is a nice sweet basil that is wonderful in any Italian sauce as well as fresh in a salad.







Everyone in our family likes Black Beans so we are growing some against the back fence. They will grow into tall vines and hopefully produce lots of wonderful black beans.










This year we decided to experiment a bit with growing some things we had never thought of before. Here is a patch of small green lentil plants.










Our usual two zucchini plants will produce more zucchinis than we can eat this summer. They usually end up shredded in the freezer for winter use.
















This pumpkin is one of many that came up after Tamara put our Halloween pumpkin out in the garden compost last fall. Turns out God's method of reproducing vegetables is amazing--who knew? These seedlings are out growing and look more healthy than any other seedlings in the garden. This fall I think we are just going to bury another pumpkin after the fall cleanup of the garden. So easy and effective.

3 comments:

Grandma Lola said...

Okay, I'm putting in my order now. I want some basil, zucchini, pumpkins, and black beans.

Maybe I can put in a garden and have my own farm. Cool and I'll share.

Rose said...

Pass the goods! Our "Florida" yard isn't equipped! I would love to grow pumpkin, FUN!

Gena said...

This garden is the reason I need to move to CO. Although I'm pretty sure I could do it where I'm at.....