Friday, May 8, 2009

Random Kid Tales

Yesterday I taught an all-day childbirth class. My co-teacher brought her kids over. Her oldest, Emma, said to me "You know, sometimes I just don't understand Owen." I'm sure she was referring to his language skills, but I laughed and said "Sometimes I don't understand him either."
Later that evening I told Matt that story. He laughed and told me that explained what he overheard that afternoon. Emma said to Owen, "Sometimes your mom doesn't understand you." In true Owen form, he responded by slapping his hands to the sides of his head & ran off.

Eden is really maturing and understands more than I give her credit for, and it shows when she's in need of correction. When I use my "your in trouble" voice, she tilts her head down and looks up at me--I swear her eyes get even more beautiful and big. Oh yeah, we are in TROUBLE.

Eden learned on her own how to climb onto the dining chairs, and then onto the dining table. Basically, nothing is out of arm's reach for her anymore. Much to her delight.

Owen has watched his train documentaries so many times, that he knows exactly when and what train whistle/horn/noise happens throughout each video. We now have "no train noises at the dinner table/after sister goes to bed/when mom's head hurts/when we don't like what someone says" rules.

Owen has eaten more cheese this week than I think he's had all year. On Wednesday we watch LOST while he has a special movie night in his room (we use Matt's laptop to show the movie--making it all the more special for Owen). Randomly, Owen came running into the living room saying "Two cheese, please?" I figured it must be a better snack than cookies. Luckily, we get 1-2lbs of cheese from WIC every week.

3 comments:

Gena said...

Tamara, the train rules are cracking me up. Especially the one about no train noises when someone says something he doesn't want to hear.

I just read your last post. That breaks my heart for you guys. I know how you feel, though. I can count my true friends on one hand. It seems I have a lot of surface friendships, too. I know if you guys lived closer we would have so much fun. We are all a lot alike. Plus, Matt loves coffee as much as I do. That does it for me! If you're in town, give us a call. We WON'T give you an excuse.

Tamara said...

A friend took Owen and her son to a pumpkin patch last fall. We met up with them later, and she told me that during the ride Owen was making these loud noises. She thought he was having a seizure. It was Owen making train noises.

I like that term, "surface friendships." I have a lot of those. I'm learning to invest my time wisely in those that go beyond the surface.
Matt and I have always listed you guys as "stuff we miss from Oklahoma." I'm so glad technology has reconnected us. We're definitely planning a trip down next year, if not sooner, and I hope to sit on your wood floors while there. ;)

Grandma Lola said...

I knew you were in trouble the each one of those special little ones were born...it comes with being a kid.

Train noises. Could be worse.