Friday, October 3, 2008

Use Your Imagination

I would love to share some adorable videos and pictures of my kids with you, but my almost 3 1/2 year old insists for "his turn" every time I get the camera out. That means he either wants to take the pictures, or be in every shot.

So, here are some oh-so-adorable stories. Just use your imagination.

After we got home from visiting Matt at work tonight Owen ran to the back door, removed his shoes and coat, and went outside. Yes, that's what I said. We came from outside, went inside where he removed his coat & shoes, and then he went outside again (still wearing socks--that's a new one, he normally takes those of too).
He then found a bug. He came running inside. "Mom, I need a towel." We use old kitchen towels to snap flies that dare enter my kitchen. I told him not to get a towel, that this bug wasn't deserving of death (after all, it was still outside where it belongs), and that he should get a cup to catch it. Owen liked this idea.
He went back outside with the cup.
"Where'd it go, Mom?"
"I don't know Owen. Did you call out for it?"
"Bug, where are you? Where'd ya go? Bug? BUUUUUUUGGGGG?" (Now with one hand cupped around his mouth. This continued for about 30 seconds.) "Oh, there it is." (Happy glee, and points to flying bug in air.) "Oh, it's gone." (Bug flies out of reach.) "Bug gone, Mom." (matter-of-fact) Owen then proceeded to run around the backyard in his socks.

Eden LOVES hats. She's been stealing her brother's train engineer cap & crawling around the house. She puts it on over her eyes, and then bumps the bill into everything. She cracks herself up doing this, which of course makes everyone start giggling, which makes her giggle even more.
We blow raspberries on Eden's belly any chance we get, and she thinks it's hilarious. The other day I was laying on the floor playing with the kids, and she crawled over, lifted my shirt, and attempted blowing one on my belly! It was too funny watching her bob her wide-mouth smile on my belly. She's finally been able to get a sound out, but it's so funny watching her try.

Owen is one of the most caring kids I've ever met. Anytime we stub a toe, or bump into something, or for any reason say "Ouch," Owen says "Oh, Momma/Dada hurt? Wanna bandage? Okay, Momma/Dada? If he catches me crying for any reason he says "Momma, okay?" Then he wraps his arms around my neck and squeezes, and plants a kiss on my cheek. "Okay, Momma?" Then he wipes my tears.
I'm so proud of our little boy. He has read through the entire Old Testament of his early reader Bible. He really seems to be enjoying these stories, and I even caught him a few times "reading" ahead. He also insists on prayers at meal times, and has been teaching his sister how to fold her hands. Today he asked that we fold our hands, but instead of bowing our heads he wanted us to lift our folded hands into the air during the prayer. We did so, and after the "Amen" Owen said to us "Good job!"


A few days ago I had just finished nursing Eden, and I headed to the bedroom to pump. Usually the kids follow me, but they were already involved with their toys. It usually only takes me a couple minutes, so I let them be. At first they were giggling, but then it became very quiet.
"Owen, what are you doing?"
"Nothing, momma." Yeah, right. I quickly finished & went to the living room. Both kids had greasy hair sticking in every direction. Owen was rubbing something in his hands. Then I saw the bottle of baby lotion on the floor. Owen had smeared lotion all through his hair and Eden's--who was quite delighted with her new hairdo. At least they smelled good all day.

1 comment:

kai said...

This post cracked me up.