Saturday, August 2, 2008

Day 27: Wow, I've Got a Lot to Say

Whew! What a day.
Yesterday evening we realized we were low on Owen's pancreatic enzymes (required for his digestion). We placed an order, but found out this morning we wouldn't be able to get them until Monday. Not good.
So, today I called nearly every pharmacy in town. I was getting rather panicked that we wouldn't be able to find any (most pharmacies do not carry CF pancreatic enzymes), and he'd have to go an entire day without them.
Finally, I found one pharmacy that had some (not enough to fill the prescription, but enough to get us by). I had also called a friend who has a daughter with CF, and she said she could spot us some too. Turns out the reason this pharmacy even has any in-stock is because my friend has her prescription filled there.
Matt was able to pick up the prescription on his dinner break, and we'll be covered until his regular prescription comes.

Eden discovered the cupboard where I store the plastic-ware. She was overjoyed, especially when she found the sippy lids--which were like big pacifiers. She absolutely LOVES her plug (our name for the pacifier). She has loved it since early on, and it is by far her most favorite thing. Of course, anything that resembles a plug also good for entertainment. She is our "non-nutrient sucker." (That's what the book calls it.) We just call her trouble. In fact, I've called her trouble so much that Owen often calls her trouble too, and she responds when we call her trouble. Uh, oh.

I am amazed at how much Owen can say, and how quickly he learns things lately. He recognizes most letters, and we're trying to work on numbers and colors. We plan to start homeschooling this fall with him (just basic preschool work). It won't be too intense--just a couple days for half an hour or so to get him prepared for kindergarten.
Since he likes being near me when I work, I'm going to prepare an area near my desk for him to do his school work. He has a table & chairs, and we have a cork board to display his projects. I've found curriculum that incorporate biblical studies into every day learning. Who knew the ABC's worked so well with the gospels? Of course, anything that I can tie into trains will be especially effective.
Speaking of which, we visited the county fair yesterday to see the model trains. Owen was so excited that I almost didn't pick up on the little dance he was doing as a potty dance. I had to drag him kicking and screaming to the bath room (literally--he was screaming "NO POTTY, MOM, NO PEE."). As soon as I put him on the toilet he peed and peed and peed and peed. After washing his hands he bolted back to the trains with me hollering behind "WALK!" To which he immediately stopped running, but instead tip-toed at high speed. I picked up a free magazine on model trains, and he has spent many minutes (3-year-olds don't spend hours yet) scouring the pages.
He also preached his first sermon today. He perched himself on the arm of the couch and went on and on quite animatedly. I asked what on earth Owen could be talking about, to which Matt replied "Politics, war, and religion. Those are the only things people get that fired up about." Of course, when I got out the camera--he just acted goofy:

No comments: