Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 29 & 30: And now a final word

I have no idea what happened yesterday. I thought I had blogged. Boy, am I glad this 30 days is over. I truly believe you should only blog when you really have something to say.
Which, I do.

This posting comes with a warning: DO NOT assume that this pertains to you.

We've had so many friends and family members encourage us during this "rough spot," and we appreciate it. However, I need to say something. This comes from conversation after conversation with friends who are desperately trying to cheer me up, encourage me, or somehow make it better with words.
It feels like we're in a boat that's taking on water, and we are going to drown. Friends who send off words of encouragement like "you did the right thing," "have patience," "trust God--it will work out," or similar phrases, are like people standing on the shore waving to us & smiling. You might have a different perspective standing on your safe shore, but think for a moment how we're feeling in this boat. Would you want the person on shore just smiling & waving? Or, are you screaming desperately for rescue?
If you don't have the solution, and you're not willing or unable to send a life line, or have never been in this boat--please stop trying to "fix it" with your words. It's not helping. Rather, the best thing to say would be--I'm here if you need someone.

We've reached a point where we're even sick of telling people how we're doing. It seems like life is full of dread and worry, and that's not who we are. I told Matt today that we need to have a "God is good" party. We're not yet sure what that looks like, but I'm sure it involves bacon.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

We'll bring the bacon! :)

Grandma Lola said...

Bacon...causes laughter and questions...God, Jews...hmmmmmm.

Does this means no more daily info/pictures of the family? OH NO!

God is good parties must have pictures of MY grandkids and....bacon. I'll bring brownies.