Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 18 & 19: Biscuits and Jam

I made jam! I made jam!
Okay, so I didn't post anything yesterday, but I was tired!

After getting the kids up & ready for their day, Mom & Dad came over so I could go shopping for jam supplies. I wanted to make a sugar-free jam, and apparently you have to use a special pectin that is only sold at two stores in town.

I found the pectin, and bought jars. Then I came home to get ready for my afternoon date with my husband. We received a "complimentary entree" from P.F. Chang's, which was good for a FREE New York strip steak lunch! Cool. (Side note: When we've gone to P.F. Chang's for dinner-dates, we've had miserable experiences--loud, rushed, etc. This afternoon date was MUCH MUCH better. Great service, quiet, and really enjoyable.)

We walked around a bit, but we both wanted to get home & make jam. (Yes, I know, we're weird--a "fun" date is making jam together.) We had to get a couple more ingredients (limes and white grape juice concentrate), and then we headed home.

We spent the rest of the afternoon making jam. It was lots of fun, SO much easier than I had thought.

I told my folks to come over early on Friday morning, and I would make a big breakfast of buttermilk biscuits (yes, from scratch), bacon, and eggs. The best way to try out jam is on fresh biscuits.

So, this morning I made biscuits, bacon and eggs, and we ate jam. Wowzer! It's SO good. It's not super-sweet. Just rich-raspberry good! Matt came home on break & inhaled 4 biscuits on his own. I thought I might give these away for Christmas, but I'm not sure how I'll part with them!

2 comments:

Rose said...

That sounds delicious!

Grandma Lola said...

The jam was soooo good! and the biscuits real perfect on their on and with the jam. (I ate the crumbs in the pan when no one was looking.) Matt took the last ones and the remainder of the first jar of jam for his evening dinner/snack. He had a big smile on his face, too.